How to care for Mercer Cutlery
It is not recommended to wash your knife in a dishwasher. The performance of your knife can be diminished if not cared for properly. Please follow these guidelines to maximize the performance of Mercer’s knives:
After each use, carefully wash cutlery by hand with warm water and mild- to medium-strength soap; rinse and thoroughly dry it with a soft towel.
Cutlery should never be washed in a dishwasher: the intense heat and radical temperature changes may cause the handle to deteriorate; the blade edges will become dull through rubbing against each other; and caustic soap will cause staining and pitting of the blade.
Cutlery should not be soaked or submerged for long periods. Chlorine and bleach products discolor and pit high-carbon steel. If chlorine or bleach products come in contact with the blade, thoroughly rinse off immediately.
Galvanic action—the transfer of electrons from one metal to another—may cause pitting on the blades. To prevent this, avoid long periods of soaking in aluminum pans or a stainless steel sink, remove cutlery from condiments (such as mayonnaise) stored in aluminum or stainless steel pans.
Always store cutlery in a cutlery block or sheath to preserve the cutting edges and prevent personal injury.
How to care for Mercer Asian Wood Handle
A minimum of once a month (depending upon the use and kitchen conditions), apply an even coat of oil to the wood handle using a cloth or disposable towel. Choose a food-grade oil which easily absorbs and penetrates deeply into the grain of the wood to help protect, revitalize and moisturize the wood fibers. Allow the oil to fully penetrate through the wood fibers overnight, then wipe off any excess oil. Apply additional oil to any visible dry spots or for any other necessary reasons.
DO NOT allow liquids of any type to accumulate on the handle for long periods of time.
DO NOT soak handle in water during cleaning.
ALWAYS CLEAN THE HANDLE THOROUGHLY AFTER CUTTING RAW FISH OR POULTRY.
Sanitize your handle by wiping down with mild dish soap and water. Dry thoroughly. DO NOT wash your wood handle knife with harsh detergents of any type. DO NOT put your wood handle knife into dishwasher.
How to care for Mercer Culinary Apparel
Our choice of fabrics is based on over 30 years of experience in apparel manufacturing. We know when it comes to the kitchen, you need garments that are cool and comfortable and just as important…washable.
Poly Cotton Blend
- Wash garments in warm water NOT hot water, using regular detergent and color safe bleach.*
- Wash with like colors.
- If you do not have the opportunity to wash your garments the same day, spray with a spot cleaner/stain remover to stop stains from setting until you are ready to wash.
- Dry on medium heat setting.
- Remove the garments from the dryer before they are totally dry if you prefer not to have to iron. Otherwise once completely dry you can iron. This fabric blend responds well to a quick iron using the cotton setting.
- Wash in warm water NOT hot water, using regular detergent and bleach that is designed for colors.
- Wash with like colors.
- Dry on medium heat setting (DO NOT use high as the cotton will shrink).
- Iron on cotton setting.
*DO NOT use pool bleach. It will ruin the material, rendering the garment unfit for wear.